Last night marked the first event of the year for the Oogie Boogie Bash at Disney California Adventure. There are a lot of new entertainment offerings during the event, but perhaps the most ambitious is the Villains Grove walkthrough experience that takes over the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. This multisensory walkthrough experience allows guests to walk through the grove that Disney villains have taken over during the Oogie Boogie Bash nights only. Here’s how Disney describes the experience:
Bewitching Magic in a Dreamlike Environment
What dark magic awaits in Villains Grove? The Villains have taken root here, turning the forest into a magical grove of light and sound with mystical sights and sounds. This awe-inspiring adventure begins the moment you cross through the arched entrance, into a place where twisting vines and roots have been enchanted by the Villains. Make your way through the bewitching mist and fog—to discover unearthly possibilities on your journey:
- Call on your most adventurous spirit to make your way down a candlelit trail, infused with the smell of incense and transported by the sound of chanting voices, only to find yourself in a cathedral of trees, capturing the grandeur of Frollo’s Sanctuary.
- Rounding the bend to Maleficent’s Will, you’ll be spellbound by a waterfall of magical, cascading colors. Ravens cast shadows as they pass overhead, and ominous thorns grow from twisting vines, reminiscent of Maleficent and her reach into the grove’s dark hollows.
- Encounter a garden of twisted roses and flowers that paint themselves crimson before your very eyes—fantastical visions from Wonderland in Queen of Hearts’ Garden.
- Descend out of the garden, into Scar’s Elephant Graveyard where hyenas’ echoing laughter and blasts of sulphur punctuate the night. Join in on the drums for a thundering rumble that reverberates throughout the vast expanse, where the hyenas of The Lion King once roamed.
- Discover Dr. Facilier’s Friends on the Other Side. Summoned by Dr. Facilier from The Princess and the Frog, shadowed hands and colorful spells dance at your feet, guiding you deeper into the darker corners of the grove to witness who knows what voodoo magic?
- You’ll be awestruck by The Queen’s Lightning Forest, bursting into life as a mesmerizing, flashing storm pulses from branch to branch.
- In the Home of the Wisps, stay just ahead of the lightning storm, guided to safety by the grove’s winged caretakers in a magical bastion, enveloped in a seemingly endless sea of light.
- At Dawn, make your getaway just in the nick of time, ushered forward, illuminated by the flickering lanterns toward a brilliant sunrise.
Our friends at Discover the Magic on Instagram have a complete wide-angle walkthrough of the full experience!