IAAPA 2022 is over and Disney Parks has won a number of Brass Ring awards for live entertainment offerings and merchandise products. Here’s the announcement:
IAAPA, the global association for the attractions industry, has announced the winners for the 2022 IAAPA Brass Ring Awards. Winners were announced at a ceremony during IAAPA Expo 2022 in Orlando, Florida. This year’s ceremony marked the return of the in-person celebration for the first time since 2019.
The annual awards recognize amusement parks, water parks, zoos, aquariums, museums, family entertainment centers (FECs), and suppliers from around the world for excellence in food and beverage, games and retail, human resources, live entertainment, marketing, new products, and exhibits.
“There’s something special about coming together as an industry and cheering each other on when this year’s finalists were so strong in each category,” said Jim Pattison, President of Ripley Entertainment, and IAAPA’s 2023 Chairman of the Board. “Celebrating industry-wide innovations and successes is a win for all of us.”
The tradition of the brass ring, a term now synonymous with spectacular achievement, dates back to the 1800s when rings were hung on carousels to pose a fun challenge for riders. Successfully grabbing a ring while riding the carousel often earned riders prizes, often including an additional free ride. Most rings were made of iron, but a few were made of brass, so grabbing the brass ring was a coveted and celebrated treat.
The IAAPA Brass Ring Awards honor this tradition by celebrating achievements of excellence throughout the global attractions industry. The IAAPA Brass Ring Awards are considered one of the global attractions industry’s most prestigious honors.
For Live Entertainment Excellence, the following Disney Live Entertainment projects received Brass Ring Awards in these categories:
- Best Theatrical Production – “Tale of the Lion King” at Disneyland Resort
- Most Creative Christmas/Holiday Show – “Mickey’s Dazzling Christmas Parade” at Disneyland Paris
- Most Creative Halloween Haunt, Show or Experience – “Let’s Get Wicked” at Hong Kong Disneyland
- Most Creative Multimedia Spectacular – “Harmonious” at EPCOT
- Most Creative Property-Wide Event – Disneyland Paris 30th Anniversary Celebration
“This year’s Brass Ring and Thea Awards truly speak to the power of live entertainment and the consistent quality of work of the team I have the privilege to lead,” said David Lightbody, senior vice president, Disney Live Entertainment. “We are honored and grateful to receive these industry recognitions.”
For Games and Merchandise Excellence, and Food & Beverage Excellence, the following products received Brass Ring Awards in these categories:
- Best Apparel Item – Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind Cassette Player Shoulder Bag
- Best Hard Good Item – Halcyon Starcruiser Training Lightsaber Hilt
- Best Plush Item – Groot Scented Plush
- Best New Menu Item – Chocolate Mighty Thor’s Hammer at The Ganachery at Disney Springs
As always, keep checking back with us here at BlogMickey.com as we continue to bring you the latest news, photos, and info from around the Disney Parks!