Disney has just posted a casting call that gives us our first real look into the character lineup for Finding Nemo: The Big Blue… and Beyond! at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
The show, which is set in the timeline of “Finding Dory”, will place guests in the Marine Life Institute. As the show begins, we’ll catch up with the fish from Dr. P. Sherman’s office in “Finding Nemo,” who have made their way across the ocean to California. They tell the story of Nemo and how they all got there, incorporating many of the beloved songs and production numbers from the original show.
While we saw an audition listed for Nemo and “ensemble” back in November, this recent listing gives us a better look into the lineup. Here’s the casting call:
- Bruce: 30s. A vegetarian great white shark. Can go from screaming rockers to an elegant soft shoe. Comedic baritone and able to handle harmonies.
- Crush: 20s – 30s. Laid back and fun-loving “surfer dude” turtle. Wise old father with the ability to rock. High tenor, must have effortless, sustained, full voice/mix high ‘C’.
- Dory: Mid – 20s. A forgetful, yet very optimistic lady fish and Marlin’s companion during this journey. Extremely quirky and an expert with comedic material. Character singer.
- Marlin: Mid – 20s. Over-protective yet very loving father, vulnerable. Huge heart, great comedic talent. Scared of virtually everything. Baritone and able to handle musical ‘patter’.
- Nemo: Early 20s. Plays youthful boy. Adorable, endlessly curious, spirited, childlike and fearless, yet at the same time naïve and vulnerable. Bright and youthful mix or belt. Vocal Range Ab3-Eb5.
- Gill: 30’s/40’s. Baritone. Tough talking maverick who comes with a great deal of wisdom and history. A wounded war hero type who carries his scars with him.
- Ensemble: Musical Theatre style. Strong vocalist and mover, with strong storytelling ability. Casting will have an intentionally inclusive BIPOC approach.
All roles will be realized by a diverse array of puppetry styles, including rod, bunraku, and hand puppetry.
The deadline is set for April 1st, perhaps allowing for a summer opening. Disney has not said when Finding Nemo: The Big Blue… and Beyond! will debut beyond “2022”.
As always, keep checking back with us here at BlogMickey.com as we continue to bring you the latest news, photos, and info from around the Disney Parks!