Gondolas are officially the transportation method of the future at Walt Disney World. The rumor of a gondola system started back in early February with permits filed with the state resembling a gondola-type system. The Orlando Sentinel recently came across Reedy Creek Improvement District documents that confirmed the plans.
Here are the details of the project:
- There will be 4 stations:
- International Gateway at Epcot
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Pop Century Resort
- Caribbean Beach Resort
- Each cab will hold 10 guests
- The cabs will be enclosed and are being made by Doppelmayr
- Project internal codename “The Italian Job”
Here’s a look at the proposed layout, with elbow turnpoints located near the Hollywood Studios Speedway gas station and the north end of Caribbean Beach Resort.
While an exact completion date has yet to be revealed, rumors suggest Disney is trying to complete the project before Star Wars Land opens in 2019.
H/T: Orlando Sentinel