To the delight of millions (or at least those of us who love Sanaa. There has to be millions, right?), Disney has just released the recipe for the delicious naan bread and cucumber raita. Here’s the announcement:
Sanaa, located at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village, is truly a unique dining experience. If you have not dined there, add it to your list today – it is a must-dine destination! The menu showcases African cooking with Indian flavors and offers delicious slow-cooked meats, salads, and plant-based dishes. And, don’t forget the live entertainment – views of exotic animals as they roam the Sunset Savanna as you dine.
On the menu for lunch and dinner, in the lounge, and through Sanaa To Go (mobile order), the bread service is an offering of five different breads – traditional naan, garlic-ginger naan, spiced naan, onion kulcha, or paneer paratha all made in the restaurant’s tandoor ovens. Accompaniments include cucumber raita, roasted red pepper hummus, mango chutney, tomato-date jam, tamarind chutney, coriander chutney, garlic pickle, red chile sambal, and spicy jalapeño-lime pickle.
The Sanaa chefs shared an easy recipe for naan made in the oven so you can enjoy this delicious Indian-style flatbread at home as a side, make naan pizzas, or for sandwiches. As a bonus, they included their recipe for Cucumber Raita – a refreshing Indian condiment served with Indian-style breads, meat and rice dishes, or as a topping for a burger or chicken. Enjoy!
NAAN BREAD WITH CUCUMBER RAITA
Sanaa, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village
Makes 5 (8-inch) naan
3 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 cup milk
2/3 cup warm water
1 tablespoon canola oil
4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; stir to combine.
- Combine milk, water, and oil in a medium bowl; whisk to combine.
- With mixer running, pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. As soon as mixture comes together, switch attachment to a dough hook and mix until dough is smooth and no longer sticky. Do not over-mix.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Place a pizza stone on a top rack of oven, positioned approximately 6 inches below the broiler. Preheat oven to 500°F for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide dough evenly into 5 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into an 8-inch circle.
- Turn oven to broil. Carefully slide one circle of dough onto the preheated pizza stone, and broil until bread is bubbled and golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Watch carefully, as the bread can burn very quickly. Repeat with remaining dough rounds.
- Brush the warm bread with melted butter and serve immediately.
Makes 2 cups
1 1/2 cups Greek-style plain yogurt
1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced into small pieces
1/2 small jalapeño pepper, seeds and stem removed, minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and freshly ground
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon coarse salt
Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Chill before serving.
Note: Always use caution when handling sharp objects and hot contents. Please supervise children who are helping or nearby. This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version.
As always, keep checking back with us here at BlogMickey.com as we continue to bring you the latest news, photos, and info from around the Disney Parks!